Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ravellenic Games

Tomorrow night is the opening ceremonies of the Olympics! We had a lot of fun watching the Olympic trials for swimming and gymnastics a few weeks ago. Ree had a blast pretending to "dive" and do jumps as we watched.  So we're pretty excited for tomorrow night!

Another reason I am excited is the opening ceremony also marks the beginning of the "Ravellenic Games" going on over at Ravelry. I'm not exactly sure which Olympic Games this began at & this is my first time participating. The idea is to cast on your knitting project during the Olympic Opening Ceremony and then cast off your project before the Closing Ceremony. Just as the Games are a challenge for the athletes participating the knitting should be a bit of a challenge as well.

While none of the things I've chosen (finally!) to knit are very challenging, I think the number of things I hope to accomplish in about 17 days is the challenge! I've finally narrowed down what I hope to do and while it may be far reaching to expect that I'll finish everything, I'm hoping for 3 out of 4.

 I came across this yarn at Joann's very big clearance sale about a month ago. I had already decided I wanted to knit a pair of socks for the Ravellenic Games and when I saw the red, white & blue sock yarn I was sold. These will be my Team USA socks. I'm planning on using the Basic Ribbed Pattern. I've knit it before and it's a simple pattern that will show off the variegated yarn well!

For my next project I plan to knit up the February Toddler Tunic for Ree. She's been telling me she wants a blue sweater.

I also plan on knitting two Miranda Hats to send along to Evelyn along with all the other's I've made. I haven't picked out yarn for those yet, but I'll just go stash diving and pick something from there!

This is a very ambitious list and I'm hoping to at least have 2 hats and a pair of socks finished by the end of the Olympics. Here's hoping that the very very hot weather doesn't come back so just the thought of knitting makes me uncomfortable!!

3 comments:

  1. Your have some lovely projects planned Jen, and I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fingers are crossed that you meet your goals! Have fun casting on tomorrow night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you are ambitious! I bet you get it done though :-) I love the idea of the Team USA socks. Go Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by & comment! I will try my best to respond to all comments here in the comment box!